In a news release from Friday, June 29th, Rep. Daryl Metcalfe, the founder of the Tanton Network’s State Legislators for Legal Immigration, was quoted as having said:
“There are no innocent illegal aliens because their very first step across the border is a criminal violation of federal immigration law. After that they must break law after law in order to survive, including, but certainly not limited to, committing welfare fraud and stealing jobs from taxpaying Pennsylvania citizens. Since the federal government remains AWOL in fulfilling its constitutional obligation to defend the states against foreign invasion, Pennsylvania state lawmakers have no choice but to stand together to advance the National Security Begins at Home package […which] will serve as a significant economic deterrent to Pennsylvania’s illegal alien invasion.”
Harsh words, indeed, but Metcalfe has long been a bigoted fire-brand of the anti-immigrant far-right, one who never seems to shy from controversy. From underhanded uses of taxpayer money to a sprawling bigotry that includes constant derision of gays, Muslims and Latinos, Metcalfe has repeatedly proven himself not as a representative of the Pennsylvania people, but a relentless ideologue advancing a contentious agenda.
- Daryl Metcalfe has been noted for his prolific gay-bashing. Among some highlights: he has refused tax appropriations that would benefit gay persons, saying it would “promote immoral behaviors;” he has spoken of a conspiratorial “homosexual agenda;” and he has referred to homosexuality as a “sinful lifestyle.”
- In 2008, Metcalfe stated that he would not vote for a resolution honoring a Muslim group in PA because Muslims, “do not recognize Jesus Christ as God.”
- In 2007, Metcalfe responded to a question about interacting with immigrants from Mexico while he was in the army. Metcalfe stated that he didn’t really interact with the immigrants. When asked why, Metcalfe stated, “I don’t speak Mexican.”
- Metcalfe has collaborated with the American Legislative Exchange Council (ALEC), an organization notorious for populating for-profit prisons with immigrants and trying to prevent people of color from voting.
- On numerous occasions, Daryl Metcalfe has apportioned tax revenues for questionable projects. In 2007, his travel expenses to several conferences, originally paid for by the American Legislative Exchange Council (ALEC), were reimbursed to that organization out of taxpayer funds. He also took part in a meeting hosted by ALEC, which allocated about $50,000 of state moneys to pay for food.