Matthew Heimbach, former head of the now abolished–for racist graffitti, etc–Towson University chapter of Youth for Western Civilization, was full of piss and vinegar and nearly overflowing with giggles when he spoke to the Southern Nationalist Network (SNN) on July 7. “Anytime there’s something controversial going on, you know I’ll be there,” Heimbach gloated to his host during the podcast’s close. One really can’t help but admire the childish hubris of some young aspiring “ideologues,” but as a swollen portrait of Southern pride and bigotry, Heimbach, let’s say, is approaching near caricature (see pictured).
Heimbach, now with the Sons of Confederate Veterans and League of the South (LOS) appeared on SNN to offer his report of the goings-on at the national conference of the Council of Conservative Citizens (CofCC), the successor organization to the segregationist White Citizens Councils of the South. CofCC is a group who openly refers to African Americans and Blacks as “a retrograde species of humanity,” by the way. Here’s some highlights from his crowings:
- Heimbach beamed at the presence and speech of Jared Taylor, a proud white-nationalist “intellectual” who runs American Renaissance and once wrote a fundraising letter for YWC. Taylor has a long history of coalescing and mingling with folks from the fringe, VDARE.com and Peter Brimelow to name two, to the mainstream conservative movement, like popping up at CPAC (read here). Robert Vandervoort, head of the Tanton Network group ProEnglish, formerly maintained the Chicago wing of American Renaissance, as well. ProEnglish also employs another former YWC chapter head.
- Taylor apparently spoke fondly of another of Heimbach’s “personal heroes,” Generalissimo Francisco Franco, the deposed, long-time fascist dictator of Spain. Heimbach mentioned that Americans “often forget about Europe,” and that it’s “always good to have examples for what our potential is as Southerners.”
- He also mentioned that “many folks in there were talking about how to take back our country.” Going further, he added that in conversation with others it was generally agreed upon that the “time will come when we’ll have to stand up for ourselves [....] This country is like a terminal cancer patient.” Adding again that “we need to be prepared to defend ourselves.”
- The anti-government, pro-state’s rights notion of “nullification,” popular among the Patriot/Christian Patriot, neo-Confederate/Southern rights movements alike, was apparently discussed as one method of fighting the federal governement, as well. Nullification refers to state governments voting to “nullify” federal laws or orders, like desegregation or the Dream Act, that they simply don’t want to follow. It is also popular among extremist groups like the Oath Keepers– whose leader recently, upon invitation, spoke before members of both chambers of the NC legislature in the legislative office building.
- Of maintaining a proclivity to nullification, Heimbach noted, “It’s a great attitude.”
Perhaps it’s one he learned from YWC’s honorary chairman, former Congressman Tom Tancredo. CoCC and YWC have been linked in the past, and CofCC announced that Tancredo was scheduled to speak at this year’s gathering. Tancredo apparently cancelled, though, according to an email his camp sent to the Southern Poverty Law Center (SPLC).
Similar to his snide closing comment, Heimbach’s early musings hovered over SPLC, who according to him are reading all of his tweets, spying on him, and were surely to write yet another blog about his connections to CofCC/appearance on the SNN podcast.
It all came across as one dictating one’s trumped-up CV over drinks in a TGIFriday’s bar, as though Heimbach is injured that he wasn’t included in SPLC’s 2012 listing of “30 to Watch: 30 New Activists Heading Up the Radical Right,”–where YWC founder and former leader, Kevin DeAnna, was actually named alongside LOS fountainhead, Michael Hill. A list which Jared Taylor also made.
Ah, jealousy will make you say and do some “crazy” things. Better luck next year, Matthew! Anyway, here’s yr blog.