National Security adviser to Trump, former Trump campaign consultant, and vocally anti-Muslim commentator
Dr. Sebastian Gorka is a far-right national security author and spokesperson known for promoting anti-Muslim sentiment. Gorka is a go-to commentator for Fox News and a regular participant on the right-wing speaking circuit regarding issues of national security and terrorism. He has been known to provide trainings to law enforcement and and other government entities. This raises concerns given Gorka’s tendency to promote common anti-Muslim conspiracy theories as well as discriminatory rhetoric directed toward American Muslims.
In a November 2016 interview with Breitbart, Gorka claimed he had “paid a visit to Trump Tower for a meeting with the national security team, although he did not meet with the President-elect personally.” Gorka also served as a paid consultant to Trump during his campaign run.
On January 24, 2017, Business Insider reported that Gorka is expected to officially accept a post in Trump’s White House, likely within the National Security Council.
- Gorka is a “sworn member” of the Hungarian far-right group Vitézi Rend, Forward reported in March 2017. The U.S. State Department describes the group as having been “under the direction of the Nazi Government of Germany” during World War II and deems that its members “are presumed to be inadmissible” to the United States.
- In April 2017, Forward uncovered an August 2007 television interview showing Gorka express support for the Hungarian Guard, “a violent racist and anti-Semitic paramilitary militia that was later banned as a threat to minorities by multiple court rulings.”
Read more: http://forward.com/news/national/367937/exclusive-controversial-trump-aide-sebastian-gorka-backed-violent-anti-semi/
- Gorka has made the case against accepting Muslim refugees, saying “the fact that we are a Christian nation, we are a Judeo-Christian nation. We help people when we can help them. But that is not a contract for national suicide…”
- He told Breitbart in an interview, “Every American citizen who cares about the republic, after 9/11, you don’t have an excuse. Buy a Koran. Don’t listen to the conventional wisdoms that are being spewed out by the mainstream media. Go to the primary source, and make a judgment for yourself about this religion.”
- Gorka attended the 2016 David Horowitz Freedom Center Restoration Weekend, during which he claimed, “[w]e are not at war with Islam,” but lamented federal law enforcement’s “political correctness” and efforts to not conflate terrorism with an entire religion. “We cannot defeat our enemy unless we understand how religion informs his operations and defines our strategic objective,” he said.
- He is a regular guest on anti-Muslim conspiracy theorist Frank Gaffney’s “Secure Freedom Radio.”
- The Family Research Council hosted Gorka at a June 2016 event during which he referred to racial and religious profiling of Muslims as “a synonym for common sense.”
- He spoke alongside anti-Muslim figures at American Freedom Alliance’s 2012 event “Spring Into Deadly Winter: What is the Future of the Arab Middle East?”
- Gorka authored Defeating Jihad: The Winnable War, a book that suggested separation between church and state in the United States “does not mean that a subject under surveillance as a threat to American lives cannot be recorded or otherwise monitored when he steps into a mosque.”
- Gave a presentation to the anti-Muslim group Citizens for National Security in 2016 titled “Islamist Ideology: Cancer that grows the jihadi threat.”