Reportedly on Trump’s national security transition team list and VP at Frank Gaffney’s anti-Muslim think tank Center for Security Policy
Clare Lopez serves as vice-president for research and analysis at Frank Gaffney’s anti-Muslim think tank Center for Security Policy. While Lopez formerly worked as a field operations officer at the Central Intelligence Agency (CIA), she now peddles bigoted and conspiratorial rhetoric about Muslims and Islam in her role at CSP. Among other things, Lopez has claimed Muslim Brotherhood operatives have “infiltrated and suborned” the U.S. government. She has been an advocate for unjust and arguably unconstitutional policies such as mass surveillance of mosques and Islamic centers as well as halting Muslim immigration to the United States.
- Lopez is the vice president for research and analysis at the anti-Muslim Center for Security Policy.
- She also serves as vice president of the nonprofit forum The Intelligence Summit, an annual conference for intelligence professionals which focuses on national security, terrorism, and “jihad.” Anti-Muslim figures Robert Spencer and Brigitte Gabriel serve as advisory board members to the summit.
- Lopez is an advisory board member to the anti-Muslim groups the United West and the Clarion Project, where she is also a senior fellow.
- In November 2013, she spoke alongside anti-Muslim figures Frank Gaffney and William “Jerry” Boykin at a training seminar for the Oklahoma Council on Law Enforcement Education and Training in Oklahoma City.
- Lopez has previously called mosques and Islamic centers “command and control centers for jihad.”
- She has also said that mosques exist not only as “places of prayer and worship, but also as centers for indoctrination, the dispensing of shariah justice, the stockpiling of weapons, and the launching of jihad.”
- Lopez participated in an Australian speaking tour sponsored by the Australian-based anti-Islam group Q Society in 2014.
- In 2014, Lopez appeared alongside anti-Muslim figureheads Brigitte Gabriel and Frank Gaffney during a panel about the Benghazi consulate attack. The panel was hosted by the Heritage Foundation and was held in Washington, D.C. Dana Milbank of The Washington Post deemed the event “Heritage’s ugly Benghazi panel.”
- Lopez told WorldNetDaily “every single Muslim [is] a potential, a possible, vigilante. They are obligated to enforce Shariah on an individual basis.”
- “The first thing would be to halt all immigration by people who can not be properly vetted and that means Muslims unfortunately, not just in places that are hot spots in the Middle East, but those who not able to be adequately vetted for Jihadist sentiments,” she said during a 2016 interview with WNPV’s AM Edition.
- WNPV AM reported Lopez advocated that “local police need to be able to monitor known radicalized mosques without having their hands tied.”
- In a 2013 speech, she stated, “When people in other bona fide religions follow their doctrines they become better people — Buddhists, Hindus, Christians, Jews. When Muslims follow their doctrine, they become jihadists.”